Arthritis is a plain and simple misery, affecting mobility and causing considerable pain. It can strike not just the old, but the young also. The foods you eat can make arthritis worse, or can help relieve symptoms. In the Caribbean, most old ladies have a little bottle of “weed” soaked in local rum on their kitchen shelf, ready to ease their aches and pains, but we are suggesting more conventional methods!
Because arthritis is an inflammation disease, we should focus on anti-inflammatory foods. So here are five tasty and nutritious foods that might help your arthritis pain.
1. Berries are a true power food, just packed with anti-inflammatory substances and also being considered as possible aids in the fight against cancer. But that’s kind of dull – who really needs an excuse to eat dark red fruits – strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, loganberries, jostaberries, cranberries, oh, and don’t forget fruits like cherries and pomegranates. Sprinkle them on breakfast cereal, add them to salads, snack on them, make them into smoothies – they are berry good for you! (Sorry).
2. Flax seeds don’t sound like much of a food, but they too are full of omega 3 fatty acids which have wonderful healing powers. Sprinkle on cereal, add to breads, include them in home made granola and you will give yourself a tasty health bonus.
3. Oily fish. Yes, it’s the omega 3 gang again, brought to you by the likes of salmon and tuna. Do make sure that you buy sustainably caught wild fish, it does matter, and farmed fish are distinctly less good for you. If you don’t have salmon finances, then feast on canned sardines, pilchards, mackerel and kippered herring. You can make excellent fish cakes with pilchards, for example.
4. Brazil Nuts contain selenium, and in fact are one of the few natural sources of this important arthritis fighting mineral. Nibble a few of these delicious nuts each day, perhaps with some dried cranberries, for a healthy snack.
5. Yogurt – but it must be made from raw milk – is a wonderful food. Fermented milk (sounds less good, but that is what it is) contains a world of pro-biotics which will help every aspect of your health, in particular, it enables you to digest your food correctly which aids arthritis sufferers who often have accompanying digestive problems.