If you are like me, and find coconut water to be extremely unappealing, you should try maple water. Maple water is the pure sap collected from maple trees as one of the first steps in making maple syrup. You would take this sap and boil it down until it is reduced to maple syrup. Maple water has a very pleasant and refreshing taste. One of the most important substances in maple water is abscisic acid (ABA), which is helpful in controlling blood sugar levels and also stimulate immune function.
As for health benefits, a Canadian website for the brand SEVA says, “Research has found that maple sap contains 46 essential nutrients[. T]his range of vitamins, minerals, amino and organic acids, prebiotics and polyphenols… make maple water ideal for quenching your body’s thirst.” Polyphenols, for example, are a type of antioxidant that is essential in helping the body rid itself of damaging free radicals. Paul Rouillard, deputy director of the Quebec Federation of Maple Syrup Producers says of maple water that “In antioxidants it is better than tomatoes.”
This is Why you Should Be Drinking Maple Water
- Maple contains a lot of minerals such as iron, magnesium, manganese, calcium, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, zinc, as well as a large number of whole complex of B vitamins, and thiamine. Thiamine helps fight premature aging and helps with proper digestion. Magnesium and zinc are responsible for strong immune system.
- Maple water is loaded with antioxidants, including polyphenols which help to fight such diseases as cancer and cardiovascular diseases.
- Maple water contains less sugar than coconut water. It contains just 30 calories – that’s half a carton of Vita Coco.
- The polyphenols in maple water inhibit enzymes that are involved in the conversion of carbohydrate to sugar.
- Maple water contains great amounts of phytohormone and abscisic acid. Abscisic acid is extremely beneficial for the pancreas. These substances help fight metabolic disorders such as diabetes by improving the insulin sensitivity of fat cells .
- Maple water possesses anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties. These properties are even more prevalent in the darker syrup.
- Maple water is great for men as it is loaded with zinc which supports the proper functioning and health of the prostate.
Article originally posted on livingtraditionally.com republished with permission